The crisis in Afghanistan has caused thousands to flee, fearing violence, persecution and instability. Overall, an estimated 2.5 million refugees have come out of Afghanistan, and due to the United States current evacuation, roughly 50,000 to 65,000 refugees are expected to flee the country, with 30,000 coming to the United States.
This adds to an already growing refugee crisis. Since 2012, the total number of refugees around the world has trended upward. At the end of 2020, 82.4 million people were forcibly displaced due to persecution, violence and human rights violations, an increase of 2.9 million people from the previous year. The needs of the refugee are urgent.
ReachGlobal Crisis Response is mobilizing prayer and financial resources to come alongside and help local churches and ministry partners serving refugees. We seek to build relationships and train disciples for cross-cultural ministry and disciplemaking among refugees in the United States and around the world, providing for refugee needs while sharing the gospel. Crisis Response will work in partnership with EFCA's All People Initiative in this effort.
- Find a regional partner. While many of our responses are in areas with an EFCA or ReachGlobal connection, we are actively seeking a partner who can help us direct resources to those in need within Afghanistan.
- Connect with churches in communities receiving Afghan refugees. We are inviting churches to consider how they could engage this response and developing resources for churches that need help engaging with refugees in their communities.
- Resource EFCA churches. Many communities won't be receiving an influx of Afghan refugees, but they are still in proximity to other refugees and groups on the margins. We are challenging churches to be intentional in their engagement with their communities.
- Afghan refugees coming to the United States and other parts of the world, that God will provide for their physical, emotional and spiritual needs
- Gospel transformation among refugees
- Wisdom for ReachGlobal and our partners on how to best serve refugees
If you and your church would like to partner with Crisis Response on cross-cultural ministry among refugees in your local context, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Our goal is to reach $100,000 in financial resources to help serve local churches and ministry partners responding to the refugee crisis through providing basic needs, outreach opportunities and discipleship training.
How your financial giving will help the effort in areas such as:
- Refugee physical needs
- Ongoing, long-term disciplemaking efforts
- Trauma care
- Children’s and women’s ministry program materials
- Infrastructure needs for partners (like gas for vehicles, cell phones, stipends/gifts for some response workers, etc.)
- Transition, resettlement and skill development resources
Give online or mail a check designated Refugees in Crisis - Afghan Response - 39834 to:
901 East 78th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55420-1300