GATEWAY Theological Institute (English and Spanish) provides theological training courses (Phase I and II) led by facilitators in the local church or via videoconference. Phase I is based on the EFCA Statement of Faith and Phase II is based on curriculum from The Urban Ministry Institute (TUMI) with extra modules (Homiletics and ordination paper writing) by the EFCA. Students receive understanding and the ability to defend the basic tenets of the EFCA through approved training for the EFCA credentialing and ordination processes.
However, a GATEWAY Theological Institute class cannot take place without a facilitator, and for many students no other option is available for training that builds a pipeline for future leaders.
To help train future pastors and leaders in the EFCA, become a facilitator.
Facilitator duties include:
- The GATEWAY Facilitator manual covers the details about the class, the facilitator should become familiar with the information it contains.
- Remind students to register for the class in a timely manner in order to receive the GATEWAY manual and be added to the Basecamp project.
- Distribute the syllabus, review class dates, times and locations (if not on syllabus, students can write them in).
- Distribute “Mini manuals for 1st class” and review its contents as well as describe the contents of the appendices that are included in the full manual.
- Review assignment for first class. Explain procedures and expectations. Remind the students to upload their papers to Basecamp and follow the instructions in Basecamp about the format to save papers to be uploaded; give the suggested deadline for uploading papers before class and for rewrites after class.
- Facilitate each GATEWAY class allowing the students to learn from each other—the “learning community” concept.
- Optional--a student can be asked to be the “contact person” for the group to take attendance at each class and also make reminder calls to the students of upcoming classes.
- Reiterate the importance of attending each scheduled class.
- GATEWAY is interested in receiving photos of the students and classes. Send digital photos to: email@example.com. Also, comments from students or updates about the class are great for us to be able to share with others via Facebook and the GATEWAY website.
- Facilitator sends any paper applications, covenants or fees that are given to him after Orientation to: EFCA GATEWAY, P.O. Box 1223, Helotes, TX 78023 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facilitator sends a “Certificate Order Form” and a copy of the attendance and grade report within two weeks of the last class meeting date to: email@example.com or mail to: EFCA GATEWAY, P.O. Box 1223, Helotes, TX 78023. Certificates will be sent to the facilitator to present to the students. GATEWAY keeps student records in the EFCA database for future reference, if needed.
- Administrative questions are directed to the EFCA GATEWAY Administrative Assistants at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Kris Driscoll (956-961-9665) or Julie Mandes (210-789-8815).
- All other questions (curriculum, teaching methods, grading, etc.) are directed to:
Optional GATEWAY site format—videoconferencing
Some GATEWAY sites are created using a videoconferencing format in order to accommodate students who would otherwise be unable to participate because of distance. Class size is limited to five students and one facilitator, and may include students outside of the facilitator’s district. Classes are held in real time with the students and facilitator all participating in the class at one time (not an online class format). Contact GATEWAY if you are interested in this type of site format.