The International Protestant Church of Kinshasa (IPCK) is an English-speaking international community of Christians from around the world, dedicated to worship, discipleship, outreach and service to Jesus Christ. With a very diverse congregation of people from all walks of life, with different backgrounds and for various reasons in Kinshasa, IPCK has a continually changing congregation of 300-350 people. The attendance has rapidly grown over the last year, and the growth is expected to continue. With the building of new facilities located centrally in town just over three years ago, a new chapter has begun. The church’s goal is to reach out and provide a church home for English speakers living in Kinshasa and to be a basecamp from which people can go and carry out the gospel.
The Pastor of IPCK needs to be located in the capital city of DR Congo, Kinshasa. Kinshasa is a multi-million population city where life can be challenging with regular power and water cuts, congested traffic and a big gap between the rich and the poor. There are readily available supermarkets, sports facilities and housing complexes, though all come at high prices. The primary official language is French. There are several International schools providing good education options. Few of the local inhabitants speak English fluently. There is a large English-speaking expatriate community representing NGOs, embassies, the UN and private businesses, who are the main target group of the church.
The ideal candidate will have 5 or more years of ministry experience, preferably in a cross-cultural setting. He should be comfortable living in a developing country. He needs good teaching and preaching experience. Evidence of effective administration and communication skills. Ability to work with a diverse congregation across all races, genders, and ages. Committed to staff and volunteer development and coaching. Financial awareness and responsibility. A visionary with sound judgment and discernment. While not required the following are desired attributes: French language skills, certification from an accredited Seminary in Biblical Studies, Divinity, or Theology, and licensed as an ordained preacher of the gospel.
- Minimum of three years' ministry experience
- Meets requirements in 1 Tim 3
- Not convicted of a criminal offense
- Born again Christian
- Has a growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Passion to reach out to people in a multicultural setting
- Hospitality from home and through outreach
- Passionate in the development of the local church
- Possesses good leadership skills
- Has insight and understanding of church structure and organization
The role of the pastor is to equip the people of this congregation for and encourage them in their varied ministries and to engage in a helping, counseling, teaching and preaching ministry. The duties of the pastor may be further specified by a Memorandum of Understanding agreed upon by the pastor and the Commission of Twelve. Examples of expected activities include:
- Prepare and deliver sermons for Sunday morning and Wednesday evening services as well as other events like worship nights, retreats, etc
- Provide leadership to the Commission of 12 (church board) and through the C12 to the church
- Administrative duties
- Visiting members, at home or hospital or coffee shop, etc.
How to apply
Interested candidates may submit an application to email@example.com by March 1, 2020, with the following documents:
- Updated CV and cover letter explaining the candidate’s interest in IPCK
- 2-5 professional and/or ministry references
- Proof of academic titles
- Proof of past professional and/or ministry/pastoral experience
- Links to or copies of audio or video of past preaching (if available)
Applications will be accepted until the job vacancy is filled. The application process is being managed by a pastoral search committee.