The director of children’s and parenting ministries will serve as a valued member of the Grace staff team and specifically of the children’s and parenting ministries team of the church. In this capacity, the director will foster spiritual growth primarily in the lives of children and their parents. The director will purpose to “make disciples by reaching and teaching all people with the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.”
The director of children’s and parenting ministries will advocate for the various generations of the church and will oversee the structures and atmosphere of the church to ensure that the family of God is working together to make disciples of the next generation.
- The director is first an advocate for children because these are the people who are least knowledgeable and least experienced in the Christian life.
- The director is next an advocate for the parent of these children because they are in the greatest position to influence the young.
- Thirdly, the director is concerned for other mature adults because they have an important role in discipling and mentoring parents and children alike.
In all these roles, fulfilling the Great Commission will be primarily in view.
- A college or graduate degree in Christian education or ministry and/or demonstrated experience in working with children and parents
- Strong speaking and writing skills with the ability to interact with all levels of the ministry team, the GEFC family, guests and vendors
- A thorough working knowledge and developmental understanding of children and their families
The director of children’s and parenting ministries will oversee the discipleship systems from birth through sixth grade. The director will work closely with the director of youth and young adults and with the director of adult ministries to ensure that parents and other adults are well prepared to disciple children.
The following are examples of primary responsibilities of the director of children’s and parenting ministries:
Oversee children’s ministries
- Coordinate a pathway to discipleship for children utilizing curriculum, events, reading materials and communication
- Envision, create and implement departmental vision that is integrated with the strategic mission, vision and purpose of the church
- Recruit, train,and supervise personnel who serve in the children’s ministries
- Oversee all the Sunday ministries for children (birth through grade six); this includes, but is not limited to: the nursery, Sunday School (preschool-grade six), and Children’s Church
- Oversee the AWANA program for children
- Oversee the UPWARD sports ministry
- Oversee the annual Vacation Bible School for children (or some equivalent such as Neighborhood Backyard Bible Clubs)
Oversee/direct parenting ministries
- Develop and implement ways that parents can effectively disciple their children incorporating biblical principles
- Develop and implement a plan for on-going parent training and encouragement
- Intentionally connect with parents to foster their own discipling efforts and to coach them on specific issues that they face
- Recommend pertinent resources to parents/children (e.g., RightNow Media, church library)
- Encourage intergenerational gatherings to help the young and all generations to recognize how God is working in the whole family of God
- Collaborate with the senior pastor, the staff team and other ministry teams to ensure that there are opportunities for all generations to worship, learn and serve together; in other words, the director will champion a disciplemaking focus for children and parents
- The director of children’s and parenting ministries will be accountable to the senior pastor for spiritual, theological, philosophical and relational harmony with the overall mission and purpose of the church as established by the congregation and Elder Leadership Team.
- The director of children’s and parenting ministries will be regular in attendance at worship services, weekly staff team meetings, Wednesday Disciplemaking Ministries,and collegial meetings particularly within the North Central District of the Evangelical Free Church of America.
- The director of children’s and parenting ministries will be invited to participate in the worship services in various capacities.
How to apply
Contact Pastor Gerald Stigall.