We are passionate about “knowing Christ and making him known” by helping people connect with Christ, grow in faith and love our God. By His grace, our God will be exalted, and eastern Iowa will be a changed region due to the influence of the Spirit of God expressed through lives connected to Jesus Christ and growing in faith.
DeWitt EFC is a small church averaging 100-150 in a community that serves as a hub for many small towns in our region. DeWitt is situated on the intersection of two highways 30 minutes north of Quad Cities and three to four hours west of Chicago.
The associate pastor is a full-time pastor who will serve alongside the senior pastor and the leadership committee of DeWitt Evangelical Free Church to fulfill the church's mission of "knowing Christ and making Him known."
The associate pastor will provide pastoral oversight for the youth and worship ministries by casting vision, promoting discipleship and leadership development in the church body, and by equipping, encouraging and empowering individuals serving in the ministries.
As we seek God’s man for the position, we prefer someone who is qualified and passionate about both of these roles (youth and worship), but we are also taking resumes from qualified individuals desiring to serve in a youth pastor position as well.
- Personal faith in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and demonstrate the reality of that relationship through their life and testimony.
- Be a stable, mature and growing Christian with an exemplary personal, marital and family life (if applicable).
- Be of irreproachable Christian character and meet the leadership qualifications set forth in 1 Tim 3:1-7, Titus 1:6-9 and 1 Pet 5:1-3.
- Sound knowledge of Scripture and an ability to teach effectively and apply Scriptural principles in all areas of ministry.
- Agree with the Statement of Faith and bylaws of DeWitt Evangelical Free Church.
- Adequate biblical education, preferably with ministry-related bachelor's and/or master's degrees from an accredited college.
- (Preferred) One to three years of prior ministry experience; experience with developing and overseeing youth ministry programs and/or experience with youth discipleship and leadership development is highly preferred.
- Music ability (solid vocals, instrumental talent and platform presence), knowledge of sound equipment and knowledge of internet technology.
- Ability to assist others in assessing their spiritual gifts, skills and interests; and to effectively recruit, train and place individuals in ministry programs.
- Committed to ministry teamwork and have the ability to build, coordinate and work within ministry teams; he must be able to communicate and establish effective working relationships.
- Permit the DeWitt Evangelical Free Church to conduct personal, educational, professional and criminal background reviews.
Youth ministry (65 percent)
- Provide spiritual and pastoral care to middle and high school students.
- Be actively engaged in the student’s school activities as a way to support and reach them.
- Ensure a safe environment for all participants, including those with special needs or emotional concerns.
- Communicate effectively with parents and students.
- Define and protect healthy boundaries for self, students and leaders.
- Integrate students into church life and prepare them for continued church involvement after graduation.
- Develop ministry leaders, in accordance with Eph 4:12: recruit, train and delegate to leaders so the ministry can multiply.
- Oversee the planning and execution of the youth ministry.
- Organize and attend annual student retreats, camps and/or mission trips.
- Prepare lesson plans for the youth ministry.
- Regular meetings/communication with senior pastor.
- Attend leadership, annual and quarterly meetings.
- Assist in preparing and maintaining an annual budget for youth ministry.
Worship ministry (25 percent)
- Coordinate, develop and enhance worship with music, media and other arts.
- Encourage spiritual growth, enthusiasm and commitment of others as they become involved in the worship ministry.
- Schedule worship leaders and musicians for weekly worship service and special events. Work closely with worship leaders, encouraging them to choose music that provides a blended style of music.
- Schedule practices and team meetings
- Direct all participants of the worship ministry (ushers, communion preparers, praise team, audio/visual technicians).
- Provide the participants of the worship ministry with an order of worship and who is leading each segment of the worship service.
- Discuss equipment needed for service and identify needs of new equipment.
- Assist in preparing and maintaining an annual budget for worship ministry.
Senior pastoral assistance (10 percent)
- Assist the senior pastor in the overall spiritual care of the church body.
- Assist in leading the worship services at the direction of the senior pastor, including presenting a service message in the absence of and request by the senior pastor (four to five times per year).
- Assist with home, hospital and nursing home visitations as requested.
- Assist with baptisms, weddings and funerals as requested.
- Assist in providing private counseling as requested.
- Assist with office administration, including correspondence, walk-ins and telephone calls as needed.
How to apply
Resumes or questions may be submitted via e-mail to JeffreyNiles@gmail.com